The Dan River Region spans Caswell County, North Carolina, crosses the Virginia state line and the Dan River to the City of Danville Virginia and continues north through Pittsylvania County, Virginia. Ours is a region of entrepreneurs of many types. From scientists to farmers, inventors to Main Street shops and manufacturers to makers, artists and craftsmen, Dan River Region entrepreneurs represent very diverse backgrounds, ages, industries, and professions.
Building a Regional Entrepreneur Ecosystem
In 2014 the Danville Regional Foundation (DRF) conducted studies that indicated the Dan River Region’s entrepreneurial potential was under-recognized and largely untapped. This work catalyzed resource providers and entrepreneurs to explore who and where our region’s entrepreneurs are and how to build an entrepreneur ecosystem to support their success.
We’ve collaborated to provide this website as a place designed specifically for entrepreneurs - where any entrepreneur at any stage can connect with targeted resources, programs, information, events and people who are committed to helping you to take the next step. We expect it to grow rapidly as new programs and resources are identified.
Why Focus on Entrepreneurs?
Over the past decade, entrepreneurs and the companies they create have challenged models for economic and community development across the nation-- not only in large cities and technology meccas, but in regions, smaller cities, towns and rural communities.
We’ve learned that new and young companies create most of the net new jobs in the U.S. They start new companies and grow existing ones. They thrive on diversity. In addition to prosperity, they fuel vitality, innovation and prosperity that resonates.
What is an Entrepreneur Ecosystem?
We’ve learned that starting and growing companies requires people throughout the community helping in a wide variety of roles. Simply put, it’s a team sport. In a strong entrepreneur ecosystem there’s a fast flow of information and resources so entrepreneurs can quickly find what they need when they need it. Its power lies within the relationships and interactions between many people and organizations.
We thank the Danville Regional Foundation for its support and funding for this project as well as for prior work that made it possible.
Thanks to these Entrepreneur Ecosystem contributors:
- Caswell Creators Network, Yanceyville, NC
- Caswell Economic Development Office, Yanceyville, NC
- Caswell Local Foods Council, Yanceyville, NC
- Dan River Business Development Center, Danville, VA
- Danville Community College, Venture Creation & Management Program, Danville, VA
- Danville Economic Development, Danville, VA
- Danville Pittsylvania County Chamber of Commerce, Blairs, VA
- Institute for Advanced Learning and Research (IALR), Danville, VA
- Longwood SBDC-Danville Office, Danville, VA
- North Carolina Cooperative Extension, Caswell Center, Yanceyville, NC
- Piedmont Community College, Caswell Campus - Small Business Center , Yanceyville, NC
- River City Coworking, Danville, VA
- River District Association, Danville, VA
- The Launch Place, Danville, VA
- Virginia Cooperative Extension, Pittsylvania County 0ffice, Chatham, VA